This is the famous Moosewood deep chocolate vegan cake. I'm not vegan anymore, but I started making this cake when I was. To date, it is the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten, much less made myself! There are a couple other deep chocolate vegan recipes on the zaar, but they use peanut butter topping instead of the raspberry-and-dark-chocolate one I originally used. The coffee brings out the delicious flavor of the chocolate, and topped with raspberry and MORE chocolate.. irresistible! The original recipe seems to have WAY too much raspberry jam listed, and I always end up sort of just slopping the raspberry sauce on, followed by some chocolate. At first it ended up sort of looking like a cowpie, with all that raspberry, but tasted so marvelous. I'm sure most of you will be handier at that part than I!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (corn oil works well)
- 1 cup cold water or 1 cup chilled brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
For the raspberry glaze
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips or 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1For the cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil an 8-inch square or round baking pan and dust with a little sifted cocoa, or line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 2In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- 3In another bowl, combine the oil, water or coffee, and vanilla.
- 4Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until blended and smooth.
- 5Add the vinegar and stir briefly. The baking soda will begin to react with the vinegar right away; this is normal and should happen.
- 6Quickly pour the batter into the baking pan.
- 7Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Transfer to a plate when cool and glaze.
- 8For the glaze: In a double boiler or small, heavy saucepan over a medium flame, melt 1/3 cup raspberry jam with 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.
- 9In another small saucepan mix 2 cups jam with 2 teaspoons water and warm over a low flame until the spread liquefies.
- 10Brush the water-fruit mixture over the top of cooled cake. Spread the chocolate mixture on top of that. Allow the glaze to cool before cutting the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for True Deep Chocolate Vegan Cake
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.8
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 259.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 87.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g