Recipe by MarraMamba
Now that the cold weather is coming we are going to need our comfort foods. This recipe will satisfy anyone on a cold winter night. I don't particularly like soups myself but this version turns it into almost a stew. I guess a real 'stoup', steaming mashed potatoes with gravy over them, chicken and veggies and even a pot pie decoration :). I add just a couple tablespoons of dark rum or brandy to it; it gives a touch of extra depth. I found this recipe on chaosinthekitchen.com and have had it open for days so I don't lose it, finally posting it here. She suggests using separate frozen veggies, if you go frozen, since they are normally more tender than the frozen mixed vegetables but either way, or fresh, of course. She also has a recipe for puff pastry stars if you want to add that.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Oh my goodness, so nice, so easy! made for a fab dinner, and my husband was thrilled with the mash, which he likes and I rarely make. Apart from adding sliced zucchini to the frying onions, simply because I had some to use up, I made no changes.Oh, I didnt have mushrooms (sorry, forgot about that), but since I dont particularly like them, no loss ;) I didn't have brandy, so used sherry. I will definitely be making this again, thanks for sharing!! Made for International Agents of QUEST, USA Southern Region
- 118.29 ml butter
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml flour
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 473.18 ml milk
- 709.77 ml chicken meat, cooked
- 118.29 ml carrot, crinkle cut
- 59.14 ml green beans
- 59.14 ml peas
- 59.14 ml corn kernel
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml brandy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large soup pot.
- Add mushrooms, a handful at a time, lightly browning each batch then pushing them to the sides and adding the next handful to the center.
- With the last batch of mushrooms, add onion and garlic; saute until soft.
- Sprinkle flour over veggies.
- Stir and cook several minutes until flour is browned.
- Add chicken stock and milk and heat to a boil.
- Simmer soup, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add cooked chicken, carrots, green beans, peas, and corn.
- Heat soup until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over a scoop of mashed potatoes.