echo echo's Note:
From the Caucasus region of Russia, often sold by street vendors. The fat can be eaten with the meat, though this is not to my taste. Preparation time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut lamb into 2-inch cubes; toss with onion and garlic in a bowl.
- 2Cut fat from lamb into slivers.
- 3Combine pomegranate juice with salt and pour over lamb (meat and fat), set in a cool place (but NOT cold like refrigerator) and marinate 4-12 hours.
- 4After marinating lamb, pat each piece dry as you place it on 6 long skewers, interspersing lamb fat slivers with meat cubes; put a cube of bread at the end of each skewer to hold the meat on the skewer.
- 5Brush each skewer's contents with oil and sprinkle with pepper to taste.
- 6Grill (traditional) or broil 12-20 minutes from very high heat, turning once and basting with any juice that runs off, until meat is cooked through.
- 7Slip meat directly off skewer onto plate, one plate for each person being served.
Nutritional Facts for True Caucasian Shashlik
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.9
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 151.9 mg
- Sodium 158.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 42.6 g