Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
A friend of mine shared this recipe with me, and I have made waffles this way ever since. They are so light, slightly sweet, and just perfect served with fresh fruit and a little whipped cream, or syrup. A wonderful way to start the day. Hope you enjoy them too.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted (no substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- fresh fruit or syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. To this add, milk, butter, and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir into dry ingredients, until just combined.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, and fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron, according to manufacturers directions until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh fruit, or syrup.
- Yield: 10 Waffles (about 4 1/2 inches).
Unfortunately these weren't much of a hit at our house. Too gummy, way too sweet, and we felt kind of sick to our stomachs after eating just a normal portion. I think it's because we eat so much healthy food that the amount of sugar and butter in the waffles just did us in.
The texture was crispy the way I like them, but way to sweet. I had to almost burn them to get them to cook all the way in my Belgian waffle maker. I will make it again but next time with less sugar.
Exactly what I wanted. Came out perfectly! :)