Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a different way to prepare homemade fish and chips all at the same time!! I found this unique recipe in a local newspaper, the writer's 89 year old mother Trudy always made her favourite fish cakes this way. I haven't tried this method yet, but I will. Source: Bedford Magazine, Jan Napier
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 potatoes, medium-size sliced lengthwise in less than 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 lb fresh haddock fillet, cut in pieces to match the size of the potato slices
- flour, for coating fish and potato cakes
- oil, for deep frying
- Mix and sift together all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add oil to water.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly stir in the liquid.
- Blend well. Set aside until ready to dip your fish and potatoes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- To prepare fish cakes.
- Place a piece of potato on each side of the fish and coat in flour.
- Dip into batter and carefully put 'fish cake' into the hot oil, cooking 3 pieces at a time.
- Turn fish cake over when one side is golden brown, continue cooking until completely golden and crispy. Cooking time will be according to thickness of fish fillet and potato slices, thinner less time, thicker more time.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Serve immediately with your favourite tartar sauce.