Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Long time family favorite. My Mom found this recipe in the 1980's in a newspaper article on presidential candidate's favorite recipes. This one belonged to Ronald Regan. Bake extra biscuits to soak up the juices - yummy!
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed & drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 18 mushrooms, halved
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuits
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oil and sauté garlic & onions till golden. Remove from pan.
- Mix flour, salt & pepper. Dredge meat in flour mixture and brown well in same oil, adding more if necessary.
- Return onion to the pan. Add dill, wine, & consommé. Cover tightly and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Sauté mushrooms in a small amount of butter. Add mushrooms and artichokes to meat mixture. Stir gently and test for seasonings.
- Pour into 2 1/2 quart casserole. top with refrigerator biscuits. Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes. About 5 minutes before completion, brush biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.