Recipe by Curt Newport
Lighter than air, and delicious...especially as "Ham Biscuits".
Top Review by carlaj
My guys loved these and they were really simple to make. I made the dough the night before, rolled it out in the morning and the rose beautifully and tasted wonderful. A very light and tender biscuit.
- 5 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt.
- Cut in shortening.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, stir into buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Cover and chill.
- When ready to use, roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2-3/4" thickness.
- Cut out biscuits with 2" cutter, place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- *Doughwill keep in refrigerator for several weeks if unused/prepared in advance.