Recipe by Outta Here
Trout is the most popular freshwater fish in Greece. Nice served with rice and spinach (Spanakorizo).
Top Review by realbirdlady
Hearty fresh fish and meat. This would probably be a great hearty meal on a fishing trip or woodsy vacation. (I think it would even work over an open fire.) I probably wouldn't generally choose this preparation at home, since the bacon and the beef broth is a bit heavy-handed for fish.
- 2 medium trout, cleaned and heads removed
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler. Set top rack about 6 inches from element.
- Salt and pepper the cavities of the trout. Wrap trout completely in bacon slices.
- Butter (using 1 tbs. butter) an oven proof large skillet (or a baking dish that can be used on stove top) and place trout in pan or dish.
- Broil for 8 minutes. Turn fish over and broil an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish and unwrap bacon slices. Chop about a tablespoon of the crispiest pieces of bacon.
- Deglaze the pan with the broth and vinegar.
- Add the bacon bits and reduce sauce over high heat about 2 minutes. Turn down heat and whisk in 2 tbs. butter.
- Remove backbones from fish. Place one trout on each dinner plate. Pour sauce over fillets.