Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a North African version of trout in foil packets. The spices, combined with the dates and rice, are a wonderful combo and the aroma is divine! This is also good if you use banana leaves to wrap the trout. The leaves give it a slightly different flavor, but it works. Try a side of Saffron Rice (my Moroccan Saffron Rice) but use almonds in place of the pistachios.
- 4 medium fresh trout, whole
- 3⁄4 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, minced (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse the trout under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season the cavities lightly with salt and pepper.
- Combine the dates, rice, HALF the onion, the coriander, ginger, cinnamon, almonds and HALF the butter in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the stuffing in the fish cavities and place each fish on a well-greased, double sheet of foil. Brush the fish with the remaining butter, season with salt and pepper and divide the remaining onion among the four parcels.
- Wrap the fish neatly and seal the edges of the foil.
- Place the parcels on a large baking trap and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Serve with a light dusting of cinnamon.