Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
i think this recipe tastes good any time of year.
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 15 sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 trout, cleaned scaled gills removed (about 3/4 to 1 pound each)
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- to taste lemon wedge
- 4 sprigs watercress, for garnish
- preheat the oven to 450.
- in a medium skillet, fry the bacon until it is cooked through and very lightly browned, ~5 min. remove the bacon and set aside. pour out the excess bacon grease and return the skillet to the stove.
- add the shallot and walnuts, toasting and shaking the pan, until the walnuts are lightly browned, 3-4 min. remove the pan from the heat and stir in the bacon and sage leaves.
- season the fish inside and out with salt and pepper. brush the skin lightly with vegetable oil. divide the bacon mixture between the 4 trout, stuffing it in the cavity of each fish. place the fish in a large roasting pan fitted with a rack. roast until the fish is just cooked through, ~15 min.
- transfer to plates and serve with lemon and garnished with the watercress.