Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
The last of three trout recipes per request. Time is a guess here. Serves 12. Clear Springs recipe originally.
- 3 cups onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups tomatoes, fresh
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper, thin sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 12 trout fillets, see note
- 12 flour tortillas
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 lbs avocados, peeled and sliced
- cilantro, garnish
- NOTE: each trout fillet should be 4 ounces in size. Tomatoes should be peeled, seeded and diced. Jalapeño should be seeded for milder taste, be sure to use gloves and keep your hands away from your eyes if doing so.
- Sauté onion in oil until transparent then stir in the tomatoes and peppers, cook until softened. Add the juice, cilantro, salt, pepper and cayenne and simmer 30 minutes (See next step); set aside.
- While salsa simmers, cook trout fillets in it for five minutes or until trout is opaque. Remove trout, remove skin and flake. Set aside until you are ready to assemble quesadilla.
- When ready to make: Brown tortilla on both sides sprinkling with 1/4 cup of each cheese, then top with salsa and 1 flaked fillet. Fold in half, cut into fourths and place on serving plate. Garnish with sour cream, 1/3 sliced avocado and cilantro.