Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created this recipe when I had my mom visiting. She is diabetic and also has gallstones which they can't operate on so I had to keep it very plain & simple. See my suggestions for adding a little extra zip at the end.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin to medium slices.
- Parboil potatoes for approximately 10min.
- While potatoes are cooking slice mushrooms into thick chunks. Clean beans and cut off ends.
- Prepare a roux by melting butter in a saucepan and adding flour. Cook for 2 min and then add milk(enough to cover potatoes).
- Mix white sauce with potatoes and place into bottom of 13x9inch pan.
- Place mushrooms and green beans over potatoes.
- Wash and dry the filets then lay over top of vegetables. Sprinkle bread crumbs over filets.
- Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour.
- This recipe can be varied by adding cooked onion to the potatoes, changing the vegetables used and also some spices could be added to the fish before sprinkling with bread crumbs.
Wow! This one wasn't amazing, but it was certainly different and was a huge hit with the family! I added onions like Tiggrr suggested. Omitted the green beans and flavored with salt and pepper. It really didn't need anything else. Instead of just sprinkling the breadcrumbs on the fish, I covered the whole dish with them and they really added a nice texture to the potatoes! It was like a fish and scalloped potatoes type of dish. Plenty of flavor without much effort. Thanks for inventing and posting this one Tiggrr!