Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love when a recipe creates a full meal. This French-inspired meal comes from Rachael Ray. The fish servings are generous for 4 people. You may adjust the amount of trout fillets to your liking. Note: read the directions all the way through before cooking so you are prepared to cook the trout while the veggies are boiling and steaming. :)
- 907.18 g small red potatoes, quartered
- 566.99 g thin asparagus spears
- fresh chives (snipped or chopped , about 10 blades)
- 14.79 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle for potatoes, divided
- 8 trout fillets, 4 to 6 oz each. (lake or rainbow)
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml milk
- 236.59 ml flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 59.16 ml butter, divided
- 236.59 ml whole blanched almond (about 6 oz)
- handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, wedged
- Turn oven on a low setting (like 170 - 200 degrees F) and rest an oven-proof platter on the oven rack.
- Get a deep pot of salted water to the boiling point and add the potatoes. Cook for about 12 minutes, or until fork tender .
- Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus and put in a colander and rest the colander on top of the potato pot and cover. Do this the last 5 or 6 minutes that the potatoes are cooking, and the asparagus will steam at the same time.
- The potatoes will be just about done when the last of your trout is going into the skillet (see below). When the potatoes are tender, take a minute to drain them and return them to the warm pot. Leave asparagus covered and set aside. Dress potatoes with chives, a drizzle of olive oil and a little salt. Leave in warm pot until trout is on the table, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Combine egg and milk in a pie tin and beat with a fork. Place a cup of flour in a second pie tin and season well with salt and sparingly with pepper. Coat the trout fillets in egg and milk mixture, then in seasoned flour. Put fillets on a plate until all of them are dredged and ready to be cooked.
- To the skillet add 1/2 T olive oil and 1 1/2 T butter. When butter foams, add trout and gently saute 4 fillets for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer trout to the warm platter in the oven. Return the pan to the stove and add remaining oil and 1 1/2 T butter and saute rest of the trout. When all of the trout is cooked and added to the serving platter, add last T of butter to the pan. When the butter melts, add almonds and brown them until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove trout from oven and pour almonds over the platter. Garnsih with chopped parsley, lemon wedges and steamed asparagus spears. Serve the potatoes alongside.
Wow LIG! This is a winner! I followed the recipe exactly except I used a bit more almonds...just love them. This turned out beautifully and the timing on the potatoes and asparagus was perfect. My potatoes were tiny, so I halved them instead of quartering. This is a keeper recipe! Thanks.