The bread machine is used to mix and knead the banana-flavored yeast dough, which is rolled out and sprinkled with brown sugar and spices. Most of the prep time is rising time.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 large banana, very ripe in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
SWIRLIN SPICE FILLING
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 3 tablespoons chopped cashews (or macadamia's)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Place dough ingredients in the bread pan in the order suggested by bread machine instructions.
- Set for white bread, dough stage.
- Press start.
- When the dough is ready, turn it out onto a lightly floured board and punch down.
- Let rest a few minutes.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle 9 inches wide.
- Spread the softened butter over the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, nuts,and coconut.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over dough.
- Roll up the dough, jellyroll fashion, starting with a short (9-inch) side, forming a loaf; pinch the edge to seal.
- Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the shaped loaf in the pan, seam side down.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until done.
- Remove bread from pan and cool on cake rack for 1 hour before slicing.
I really liked the ease and great flavors in this recipe. I didn't feel like breaking out my bread machine, and I didn't have bread flour, so I used basic bread techniques (kneading and such) and AP flour. My husband claims to hate coconut, but easily ate 2/3 of the loaf. I wish the filling had stayed together a little better, as it tended to fall out when you cut the slices. Perhaps mixing the butter with the other filling ingredients would have accomplished that. Overall, great recipe.
I'm not rating this at this time as I feel like I did something wrong, maybe my yeast was bad or the wrong kind. Love the idea and the filling is do die for and sure looks pretty- but for some reason mine came out hard and heavy and we couldn't eat it. I'm going to try again and will come back and update.
Made for Photo Tag. This was so simple by using my bread machine.The banana flavour is subtle but lovely with the spices and coconut.I used sliced almonds in place of cashews.