Recipe by weekend cooker
A great choice instead of the traditional potato salad. The spices, pineapple, and toasted pecans provide the perfect complement to the naturally sweet yams.
Top Review by mybirdzone
Yum! I was looking for something different and this is it! Didn't have any green onion and omitted the nuts due to allergy and this is still fantastic! I used pineapple tidbits which were the perfect size for my dish. The nutmeg really stands out. Oh dear, I just realized I forgot to add the lemon juice. Can't wait to make this again and share it with guests.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (yams)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes in boiling water just until tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain and toss with lemon juice, and set aside.
- Add celery, green onions, pineapple chunks, and pecans.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange rind, orange juice, ghoney, ginger, and salt.
- Mix the mayonnaise dressing with sweet potato mixture, tossing gently.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill.