Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A great choice instead of the traditional potato salad. The spices, pineapple, and toasted pecans provide the perfect complement to the naturally sweet yams.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (yams)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, cook sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes in boiling water just until tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain and toss with lemon juice, and set aside.
- Add celery, green onions, pineapple chunks, and pecans.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange rind, orange juice, ghoney, ginger, and salt.
- Mix the mayonnaise dressing with sweet potato mixture, tossing gently.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill.
Yum! I was looking for something different and this is it! Didn't have any green onion and omitted the nuts due to allergy and this is still fantastic! I used pineapple tidbits which were the perfect size for my dish. The nutmeg really stands out. Oh dear, I just realized I forgot to add the lemon juice. Can't wait to make this again and share it with guests.
Very different and very good! I made a few small changes: roasted 1/2 inch yam cubes tossed with a little olive oil at 425 degrees about 30 minutes instead of boiling. (Had the oven on anyway to toast the pecans.) Left out the celery but might add a diced apple next time to add crunch. Used two green onions instead of an entire bunch. I think I might use pineapple tidbits next time instead of chunks to get the taste of pineapple with every bite. Can't wait to make this again!
Weirdly warm weather inspired the neighbors to come out for an impromptu barbecue - this was my offering to the table - very well received! I like these sweet potato salads, they are a nice change.