Recipe by Buster's friend
Realized I had to post this for safekeeping after recipe was requested in detail by DF who shared this meal with us the night Tropical Storm Barry rolled through. LOL - I didn't even think about dinner as I was wrapped up smoking a pork shoulder for birthday BBQ the next day. DF looked wet, wind whipped & kind of put out when she made her way out to where I was working the smoker in the 40 mph wind & rain & asked, "so if this shoulder's gonna take 4 more hours, what are we having for dinner?" She looked HUNGRY and wet...sooo.... I came back in & surveyed to fridge (poor planning on my part making family & friends have to request nourishment - cringe) & spotted the turkey breast I had smoked a few days earlier & slammed together this salad. If purchasing smoked turkey, get at least a 1 inch thick slice so you can chunk it up. I had deli sliced provolone which I then sliced into strips. This SHOULD serve 4-5 but the 3 of us made short work of it. Used (House Balsamic Vinaigrette) as the dressing - yum, fast refreshing & satisfying!
Top Review by nursevb8
Yes, I was wet and wind swept, but never go hungry at the chef's house. This salad was wonderful and full of flavor. I also made it after coming home. Forgot the peppers but still tasted almost as good.
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces, washed & spun dry
- 1 onion, sliced thin (Vidalia if available)
- 7 ounces red peppers, fireroasted (I used jarred but fresh off the grill would be nice too)
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 lb smoked turkey, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 avocado, 1/2 inch chunks
- 6 ounces black olives, sliced in two (keeps them from rolling away)