1/4 Photos of Tropical Spice Cupcakes
These delicious and tender cupcakes taste of spice, orange and coconut, and are topped with a creamy orange flavored frosting. Developed for RSC #9.------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
- 1 large orange, juice and zest of, for use in the recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place 18 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
- 3In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk the mixture lightly until there are no clumps, and the spices are mixed throughout. Set aside.
- 4Cream the butter with a mixer for a few minutes until soft and fluffy.
- 5Add the sugars and eggs to the butter, and beat until light in color and fluffy in texture (about 5 minutes).
- 6Next, add the Grand Marnier and beat until incorporated.
- 7Add 1/4 cup juice from the freshly squeezed orange and 1/3 of the flour mixture, and beat until incorporated, scraping the batter down into the bowl as necessary. Add the coconut milk and 1/2 the remaining flour mixture, and beat until blended. Add the buttermilk and the rest of the flour mixture and again beat until incorporated, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- 8Measure 2 - 3 tbsp orange zest from the freshly zested orange, and add to the mixture; also add the coconut and mix until blended.
- 9Using an ice cream scoop, fill the cupcake liners with one scoop of batter each (filling the liners about 3/4 full).
- 10Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- 11Remove from the oven and let rest in the muffin pan for 15 minutes.
- 12Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin, and place on a rack to cool thoroughly before frosting.
- 13Make frosting: Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until creamy.
- 14Measure 2 tbsp juice from the freshly squeezed orange and add to the cream cheese.
- 15Measure 1 cup of confectioner's sugar and add to the cream cheese mixture. Beat until the ingredients are smooth.
- 16Add the coconut milk, the Grand Marnier, and another cup of confectioner's sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 17Add another cup of confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth.
- 18Add 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth.
- 19At this point, check the consistency. If it is firm enough to spread on the cupcake, it's finished. Add a little more confectioner's sugar (a few tablespoons at a time) if it needs to be firmer.
- 20Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Spice Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (1862 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.0
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 294.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 40.6 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: