Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cake has a nice light texture and delightful flavour. The following recipe is from a Cookbook my Mom always used. The inside is dated 1938 and she was born in l914, making the cookbook one of the first she owned at the age of 24. Fondly, Lori
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with the baking powder, salt and spices.
- Cream butter thoroughly, add sugar gradually and cream well together.
- Add unbeaten egg and beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Bake in two greased 8-inch layer cake tins in a moderate oven of 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Spread Seven-Minute Frosting between layers, on top and sides of cake.