Recipe by Jellyqueen
I made this for the first time last night on an almost dare, my cooking skills are not amazing, I am not sure where the recipe originates, my friend gave it to me, anyway it was amazing, to me anyway! It looks difficult and lengthy but it really is not, just takes time to get it together but I love chopping. Prep and cooking time is estimated.
Top Review by NellyVanilly
This recipe is amazing ! i tried it today and it turned out awesome ! I added spring onions, and green peas to the prawns. I also didn't have saffron so i sprinkled curry powder over the shrimps instead..i also ommited the sausage as i didn't have any..this was a perfect recipe :) thanx alot for sharing :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, diced 1/4 inch
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage or 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red pepper, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, diced 1/2 inch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 mango, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 papaya, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup paella rice
- 1 star fruit, sliced 1/4 inch
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1⁄2 lbs prawns (16/20 count)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the linguica or smoked sausage or chorizo into 1/4-inch rounds, then quarter the sausage.
- Marinate the prawns in olive oil which has been infused with saffron.
- Season with kosher salt and crushed red pepper.
- In addition, other seafood may be added such as clams and mussels.
- Cook the onion in half the olive oil until translucent over medium-high heat.
- Add the thyme, turmeric, salt and rice.
- Stir well.
- Add the stock, stir once and set on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until just al dente.
- In large sauce pan, warm the garlic in the remaining olive oil and add the diced red pepper.
- Add the fruit, sausage and prawns and sauté for one minute.
- Add the rum and cook for another minute to burn off the alcohol.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Toss all together carefully until thoroughly incorporated.
- Moisten with a little more stock if necessary.
- Mound the paella in a bowl or on a plate.
- Garnish the paella with two spears of pineapple, some sliced chives and sliced starfruit if desired.