Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A nice change for a summer picnic or New Years Eve Dinner Party.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice (or a mixture of white and brown or white and wild)
- 1 cup halved snow peas
- 1 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup sliced water chestnut
- 1⁄2 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained and chopped
- 2 medium green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- Cook rice in stock until done.
- Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Put rice in a serving bowl and add remaining veg and fruit ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour over rice mixture and toss.
- Chill for 6 hours before serving-toss again.
This was a fun and different salad to serve. I made it for a group of 12 and it was very well liked. Unusual combination and people don't normally eat a lot of rice salads so it was fun having something out of the ordinary. Next time I might add a bit of salt and pepper.
This recipie makes a colorful and festive salad with a great blend of oriental and fruit flavors. I blanched the snow peas to bring out the bright green color but still kept the crunchy texture.
maybe i was expecting more flavor...but, it was quite bland - looks very pretty though - my mother and grandmother loved it...and, my mom will be reusing the recipe.