Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is made in a crock pot, I got this recipe from Fast Cooking in a Slow Cooker Every Day Of The Year by, Joann Rachor.
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 20 ounces unsweetened crushed canned pineapple (I blended it up fine)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (i used 1/2 cup pineapple juice concentrate)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup raw chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stir the following ingredients into the slow cooker and cook 8 1/2 hours on low (I did this before bed):) When its done cooking, you can add your choice of fresh or dried fruit, nuts, or anything you want!
- Wake up in the morning, and enjoy! Your whole family will love it because they know its good for them! And say goodbye to the grumps!
This one did not turn out to be one we enjoyed, but since I tagged it for a game I'm reviewing with my feedback so others can not make some of the mistakes with the recipe that I did! I used long grain brown rice as it was all I had. I figured it would be fine, but I'm not sure it was. Also, I cooked it a little too long (more like 10 hours) and it was starting to burn to my crockpot. Since I wanted to eat it cold I let it sit in the crockpot, turned off, with the lid off, for awhile. But it developed a really thick skin which I didn't like. So... I think it was more operator error than the recipe! An interesting one to try, but I think I'd like it more with a fruit mix instead of both pineapple and pineapple juice. Thanks for posting
I didn't really like this warm. But I tried it cold and LOVED it. The almonds were okay, but I'm going to try a different nut next time.