Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A yummy pound cake with a taste of the tropics. I hope you'll give this one a try rather than thinking just another pound cake.
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (1 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained (reserving 1/4 cup juice)
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup dried banana pieces, crushed
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the coconut in a shallow pan and bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden.
- In a large nonreactive bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream sugar and butter about 1 minute or until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- By hand, blend in flour, soda, sour cream, vanilla, rum extract, lemon rind and 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice.
- Mix well.
- Blend in toasted coconut, drained pineapple, mashed bananas and dates. (The mixture will be fairly thick.)
- To make topping: In a small bowl, blend all topping ingredients together.
- Spoon cake batter into a lightly greased and floured 8-inch Bundt pan; sprinkle topping mixture over batter and bake 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan and slice.