Recipe by Darlene Summers
This pie is not quite as easy as some, but it is not hard either and is worth the trouble.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups scalded milk
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend sugar, salt and flour with cold milk; stir in scalded milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thick and cooked through.
- Add BEATEN egg yolks slowly, stirring in well.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 of the coconut.
- Stir drained pineapple into filling.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Beat egg whites till frothy. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat till stiff peaks.
- Fold in remaining coconut and vanilla.
- Place meringue over pie.
- Bake at 325° for about 10 minutes or until meringue is browned.