Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tasty sandwiches for a summe day. Definitely a change from the norm. The Pineapple cheese spread is delicious. You can store them in fridge, tightly covered up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 weeks. Just thaw before serving.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pineapple Cheese Spread
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons pineapple preserves
- Combine dates, pecans, and soda in a small bowl. Stir in hot water; set aside to cool.
- Cream shortening in a medium bowl, gradually add sugar, beating well at med. speed with an electric mixer.Add egg, beat well.
- Combine four and salt; add to creamed mixture alternating with date mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 16 ounce vegetable cans. Bake at 350F for 35 to 4o minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in middle, comes out clean. Cool in cans 10 minutes, remove loaves from cans, and cool on wire racks. Slice loaves into 1/4 inch thick slices. Spread Pineapple Cheese Spread evenly over half the bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Pineapple-Cheese Spread:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. 1 1/4 cups.