Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can see the grass skirts blowing in the wind! LOL! This is such a great sauce for so many things. I have used it on chicken, beef pork,(it's awesome on spare ribs) and fish! Haven't gotten to the veggies yet, but I'm working on it. This doubles easily and keeps well in the fridge.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 cup cider vinegar (the brown one)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 425°F
- Line a shallow baking pan with nonstick foil.
- Place sweet onions in butter in a small saucepan and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add brown sugar, dry mustard, cider vinegar, pineapple, ketchup, lime juice, pomegranate juice, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir until combined and cook over medium heat and thickened, 20 to 30 minutes.
This was so good, and it was just what I was looking for! I saw some "Island BBQ" frozen fish at the grocery, and decided to try to make it myself at home with ingredients I already had... your recipe allowed me to do just that! The only thing I didn't have was the pom juice, so I used 1/2 c. pineapple juice instead (and left out the crushed pineapple). I grilled tilapia, and spooned the sauce over it just before it was finished. My husband didn't like it much because of the sweetness, but he still ate it. My kids LOVED it! The leftover sauce went in a jar that is in the fridge for next time. Thanks!