1/1 Photo of Tropical Hummingbird Cake
HOUSEMANAGER (Charlene)'s Note:
Tropical Hummingbird Cake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cake
- vegetable shortening, for greasing the pans
- flour, for dusting the pans
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package pudding-enhanced yellow cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 -3 overripe bananas, peeled and mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (such as canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Frosting
- 1PLACE a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 F; Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour; Shake out the excess flour; Set the pans aside.
- 2COMBINE the cake mix, pineapple with its juice, mashed bananas, water, oil, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl; blend with an electric mixer until the batter is thick and the fruit well blended; divide the batter between the prepared pans.
- 3BAKE until the cakes are golden, 30- 35 minutes; remove the pans from the oven and place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes; invert on to a plate and cool 30 minutes more; then place both cakes into your freezer (this will help in frosting) while you toast the nuts and prepare the frosting.
- 4TOAST the nuts in a preheated 350 F oven by spreading them in one layer on a baking pan; 4 to 5 minutes, or until you smell the pecans; 20 minutes for the hazelnuts; rub off the skins while the hazelnuts are still warm, don’t be concerned if a little skin is left on them; Be careful not to burn your nuts.
- 5COMBINE the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl; blend with an electric mixer on low until combined; add the confectioners sugar a bit at a time, blending with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is well incorporated; add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium and blend until the frosting is fluffy; fold in the coconut, pecans and hazelnuts.
- 6FROST at once between the cake layers and the top and sides of the cake; place the frosted cake uncovered in the fridge until the frosting sets, about 20 minutes and then serve.
- 7STORE frosted cake in fridge.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Hummingbird Cake
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.1
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.8 mg
- Sodium 413.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 49.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g