Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
So good you'll make it again and again.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 ounces water chestnuts (canned)
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1⁄4 lb fresh spinach
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot (drained)
- 1 slice gingerroot (1/4 inch thick, 2 Teaspoons red ginger)
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce ((2 to 3)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 banana
- Slice chicken into 1 1/2 inch long pieces.
- Slice the water chestnuts, mushrooms and yellow onion.
- Wash the spinach; remove and discard tough stems, slice the leaves.
- Thinly slice red pepper; reserve for garnish.
- Julienne the bamboo shoots, gingerroot and celery.
- Heat a wok or large skillet until very hot. Add the oil.
- When the oil is very hot, add the sliced chicken.
- Toss the chicken with chopsticks or two wooden spoons;.
- stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until chicken starts to lose its pink color.
- Add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, celery, gingerroot, mushrooms, onion, oyster sauce and salt to the chicken in the wok.
- Stir-fry a few minutes longer, tossing with two chopsticks.
- until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the chicken broth; cover the wok and steam the chicken and the vegetables for about 1 minute over high heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Tip wok over a medium-sized bowl, keeping the wok partially covered with the lid.
- Let the excess liquid drain into the bowl.
- Add the reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch to the liquid in the bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture back into the chicken mixture in the wok.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, about 2 minutes or until the sauce is thick and translucent. Peel and slice the banana.
- Remove wok from heat and add the chicken mixture; toss gently with the chopsticks.
- Serve over fluffy white rice; garnish with red-pepper strips.