Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This comes from Gooseberry Patch and is a different take on a hot ham sandwich. These sandwiches will come in handy for a backyard luau or just a picnic -- your choice. Either way, they are delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 12 sandwich buns
- Mix all ingredients (except buns) in crock pot. Cover and cook on LO for 3-4 hours.
- Uncover and cook on HI 15 to 30 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Stir and serve on buns.
I made this for a Halloween party, and it was a big hit. I did make some changes. I used 4 lbs of chipped ham (from the deli), and then increased the Dijon to 1 cup (kept the brown sugar at 1 cup). I added orange bell pepper (since it was Halloween), and increased the onion flakes to 1 tbsp per lb of meat. I wasn't sure what to do with the juice from the crushed pineapple, so I included that too (for more liquid in the slow cooker). This definitely was a "treat"!!
I have always loved the combination of ham and pineapple. These sandwiches were extremely easy to make. They were quite sweet, so next time, I will decrease the sugar to maybe 3/4 cup. Thanks for sharing this recipe.