Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are a tasty Hawaiian treat, great as a side with ham.
- 1 lb green beans, canned
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (liquid reserved)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Drain the green beans, and save 1/3 cup of the liquid.
- Combine the liquid, pineapple juice, and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix the cornstarch, salt and pepper, and then add into the liquid.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the pineapple, beans and butter and serve once heated through.
This didn't turn out nearly as well as I thought it would. First, canned beans are so soft (I guess because they've been packed in liquid for so long), and cooking them in more liquid just made them mushy. But also, there was too much liquid and I had to keep addng more cornstarch. Even so, the sauce never really got very thick. If I make this again, I will definitely use fresh or frozen beans though, so they aren't so mushy after cooking them in the sauce.