Recipe by Redsie
Great Summer Treat! Made this with lots of tropical fruits - looked wonderful and tasted delicious!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 cup 35% heavy cream
- 1 lb sliced kiwi or 1 lb mangoes or 1 lb oranges or 1 lb pineapple or 1 lb grapes, etc
- 1⁄4 cup toasted shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and flour 2 8-inch round pans.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and coconut.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter with half of the sugar in a bowl. Add eggs one at a time mixing between each addition. Add flour mixture until well combined.
- Spread mixture into the two pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans for about an hour.
- In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the rest of the sugar, the water and the lemon juice. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Let it cool then add the rhum. Brush it on the two cakes.
- Whip the cream.
- Prepare the fruits (sliced or whole) and mix with 3/4 of the whipped cream. Spread on top of the first cake layer then place the second cake layer on top of the first. Spread remaining whipped cream on the side of the cakes then the coconut.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the rest of the fruits.
- Heat the apricot jam until liquified a bit then spread the cake with it.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.