Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My aunt used to make this every Christmas. It is a different fruit cake as everything goes in whole and it is mostly all fruit and nuts; very little batter. When you cut a slice you get a whole slice of whatever is there. It is very good. It is a small cake, the size of one loaf pan.
- 1 lb brazil nut (uncracked)
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) packages dates (whole and no pits)
- 1 cup maraschino cherry (drain very well)
- 1⁄4 lb candied green cherries (no mint flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- Cover brazil nuts with water and boil for 3 minutes; drain and crack.
- Put the nuts, dates, and both cherries into a bowl.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt over the fruit mixture.
- Mix well with hands till all the ingredients are coated.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl till frothy and add the vanilla and almond.
- Mix this with the batter.
- Line a bread pan with foil very neatly and grease and flour it.
- Dump the batter into the pan and bake 300 degree oven for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Cover with foil the last part of baking.
- Leave in pan to cool and then the foil should come out easily.
- Make 3-4 days ahead before serving.
- Wrap in plastic wrap .