Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I created this alternate to conventional fruitcake to satisfy my tastebuds, and to have a vegan cake for my workplace to sell. Makes 4 1 cup loaves
- 1 cup diced dried papaya
- 1 cup diced dried pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup diced dried mango
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup butter substitute, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter substitute
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple-orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Mix all of the butter, sweeteners, oil, juice and extracts in a large enough bowl to fold in the fruit, and add the fruit and pumpkin seeds.
- Stir well and let sit while you sift the flour with the soda and spices, and oil your pans.
- Line pans with parchment paper.
- Add the flour mixture and stir enough to be sure no flour remains dry. Distribute into the pans.
- Cook at 325°F for approximately 35 minutes, check with a toothpick at 30 minutes.
- When the toothpick comes out just barely moist, remove the pans to a rack to cool for 15 minutes, then decant them and let cool in the paper another 15 minutes. Peel and wrap tightly and store in refrigerator or tin, if you wish to add alcohol. I would suggest light rum if you must :)This will remain moist for several days if kept refrigerated.