Recipe by FLUFFSTER
Well, you'd better kick off your shoes, grab a straw hat, your sunglasses and a Mai Tai with the frilly toothpick because you'll be off to the islands, mon! The name tells all! Wonderful cake for outdoors get-togethers, pool parties, pot lucks, and everything in-between. Rich with pineapple and a kiss of rum, this is a great cake. Decorate it with coconut, cherries, (frilly toothpicks) or anything else you can think of. I'd suggest a cream cheese frosting for this, as well as coconut.I have dyed the coconut to pastel colors for different occasions, holidays, etc. and it looks so pretty! If using frosting, make sure that the cake has been cooled to room temperature.
- 1 cup margarine (two sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pineapple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring, can use rum
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour 3 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and margarine until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each adition.
- In another bowl, mix flour, soda and salt together. Add flavorings to buttermilk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk, ending with flour. Stir in pineapple and coconut.
- Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.