Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Well, you'd better kick off your shoes, grab a straw hat, your sunglasses and a Mai Tai with the frilly toothpick because you'll be off to the islands, mon! The name tells all! Wonderful cake for outdoors get-togethers, pool parties, pot lucks, and everything in-between. Rich with pineapple and a kiss of rum, this is a great cake. Decorate it with coconut, cherries, (frilly toothpicks) or anything else you can think of. I'd suggest a cream cheese frosting for this, as well as coconut.I have dyed the coconut to pastel colors for different occasions, holidays, etc. and it looks so pretty! If using frosting, make sure that the cake has been cooled to room temperature.
- 1 cup margarine (two sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pineapple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring, can use rum
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour 3 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and margarine until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each adition.
- In another bowl, mix flour, soda and salt together. Add flavorings to buttermilk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk, ending with flour. Stir in pineapple and coconut.
- Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
We love our cake and this is among our favorites now! I topped it with Cool Whip mixed with crushed pineapple, fresh shaved coconut and walnuts chopped fine.
this cake deserve more than 5 stars! I made a few changes and used 2 tablespoons of light rum in place of the rum extract and used butter in place of the margarine, it didn't state what kind of flour so I used all-purpose just to be on the safe side and that worked well, thanks for a great cake recipe Fluffy!
Love this easy cake! I actually made for my sister's resturant and it was a huge hit! We even had a lady call after luch to see if we still had some left, because she wanted to buy ALL the leftovers! I did make a cream cheese icing and topped with a generous amount of toasted coconut. Strongly recommended!