Elly in Canada's Note:
Is there anything more delicious than a good coffee cake served warm with a nice cup of coffee? This recipe will produce a thin cake with a creamy custard topping! This recipe was created for the RSC #8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Grease a 9 x 9-inch square pan.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3Put currants into a small bowl, add orange juice, let sit until currants are plump and juicy; set aside. Drain off any excess liquid before adding to custard mixture.
- 4In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and salt until blended.
- 5Combine milk and melted butter and add to dry ingredients, stir to form a thick batter.
- 6Spread batter in prepared pan, set aside.
- 7In a bowl, mix sour cream, lemon juice, 1/4 cup white sugar, egg until well blended.
- 8Add coconut, drained currants, ginger and orange zest, mix well.
- 9Pour custard mixture over prepared batter in baking pan.
- 10Bake 25 to 30 minutes until edges begin to pull away from sides of the pan and centre of custard is set.
- 11Can be served warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
- 12Any remaining coffee cake should be covered and refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Custard Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.9
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 159.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g