Recipe by Manami
Originally in an Eating Well Newsletter. Combine cucumber, pineapple and avocado with a sweet & sour dressing to make it tropical tasting. The recipe called for a mango but we are not mango eaters, so I changed a few things.
Top Review by Buster's friend
This is a wonderful salad! The crisp, the smooth & the tender textures combine with just the right tarness, sweetness & warmth to make an outstanding salad! Served with an Indonesian peanut noodle dish & tumeric poached chicken - it was a delightful meal & we are looking forward to making this again this weekend as there were no leftovers with four people! PS - skipped macadamia nuts as we had none. Thank you DiScharf for a truly special salad!
- 3 -5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (not the bottled stuff)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- crushed macadamia nuts, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper flakes in a large bowl until combined.
- Add cucumber, avocado, pineapple, macadamia nuts and cilantro; gently toss to coat.
- Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.