Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I love tropical fruits, probably more than typical fruits. Mangos, fresh pineapple, bananas, coconut...oh, gosh...I love them all! This is so delicious that I had to share it. I always keep coconut milk on hand for various dishes so I was thrilled to use it for this. You'll have to refrigerate overnight, so plan ahead.
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes pineapple Jell-O
- 1 angel food cake, cut into cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) container whipped topping
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 bananas, sliced thin
- In a saucepan, bring the coconut milk and water to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the jello powder until dissolved. Stir in the ice water. Chill 20 minutes.
- Beat the mixture 1 minute. Fold in the cake, 4 cups of whipped topping, and the fruit. Spoon into a dish lined with plastic wrap.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Unmold cake onto serving plate and remove plastic. Frost the cake with the remaining whipped topping.
This is a great fluffy fruity dessert! I think I would have been just as happy with the unchilled fluff as I was with the molded "cake" (the presentation wouldn't have been as nice unchilled, but the flavor was great both ways). The pineapple is definitely the dominant flavor here, so coconut lovers may want to add some coconut extract or shredded coconut to the mix. I think this would look really good with sliced fruits (kiwis, pineapple, mango) arranged on top, but I didn't have enough garnish-worthy fruit on hand to do this. That will have to be a project for another day, I guess. Very good either way, though. Thanks for posting!