Recipe by Seasoned Cook
A MOIST and FLAVORFUL cake! I have prepared this dessert for many years. It is a favorite of my stepchildren and they always have seconds. A pretty cake! The best part is the flavor and moistness of the cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) white cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) tropical fruit salad (Dole's)
- 1 (8 ounce) Cool Whip, extra creamy
- 1 (6 ounce) fresh frozen coconut
- 8 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat cake mix, oil, eggs and water. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch cake pans, following directions on box. Let cool.
- Trim off any brown edges of cake to enhance appearance and taste.
- Chop tropical fruit into small pieces, reserving juice. Using a fork, stick into cake layers several times and pour fruit juice over layers.
- Sprinkle one layer with one-half of fruit. Spread one-half of cool whip and sprinkle with one half of coconut.
- Repeat for second layer, ending with coconut on top. Chop cheeries in halves, blotting dry. Decorate top. (Best made a day ahead for juice to moisten cake.).