Recipe by LadyPalm
This simple refreshing soup is great for luncheons or as a light starter for heartier fare. It was created by Joyce Wells of the Cayman Islands and is featured in her book "Taste of the Tropics". I often add a dash of green food colouring prior to chilling to enhance the appearance but it is certainly optional.
- 3 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- chives (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely chop cucumbers.
- Boil onion in 1/2 cup water over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chicken stock cubes, cucumber, cover and cook 10 more minutes.
- Puree cucumber/onion mixture in blender until it resembles a rich cream. Stir in cream and lemon juice.
- Chill soup for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- Taste chilled soup for seasoning, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve in 4 chilled bowls and garnish with snipped chives if desired.