Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
The Waldorf Salad has it's origins at The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, in NYC, NY. In 1896 Oscar Tschirky, Maitre d'Hotel made this salad which contained apples. chicken, celery & mayonnaise - later the walnuts were added. Well, I am taking poetic license and making some more changes to it. It has always been served on a bed of lettuce. Based loosely on a recipe provided by The National Chicken Council. You can make this with a store-bought rotisserie chicken(if you do skip the first four steps.) Did not include cooling times.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat or 1 1⁄2 lbs store-bought rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped, leaves reserved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium granny smith apples or 2 medium fuji apples, cored and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, slightly toasted
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In large saucepan, place chicken breasts and cover with cold water by 1 inch.
- Add onion, celery leaves and Kosher salt.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Remove from liquid and set aside; discard liquid.
- When cool enough to handle, cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In large bowl, mix together chicken, celery, apples, scallions, grapes and toasted macadamia nuts.
- Use sharp knife to split pineapple into sixths from top to bottom.
- Slice core off each pineapple wedge and slice off fruit, leaving tufts of leaves in tact.
- Use the extra half of pineapple for garnish.
- Cut the remaining fruit into chunks and add to chicken mixture.
- Set pineapple wedges on plates.
- In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice; blend well.
- Add dressing to chicken mixture and toss thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture onto pineapple wedges and serve.