The Waldorf Salad has it's origins at The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, in NYC, NY. In 1896 Oscar Tschirky, Maitre d'Hotel made this salad which contained apples. chicken, celery & mayonnaise - later the walnuts were added. Well, I am taking poetic license and making some more changes to it. It has always been served on a bed of lettuce. Based loosely on a recipe provided by The National Chicken Council. You can make this with a store-bought rotisserie chicken(if you do skip the first four steps.) Did not include cooling times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat or 1 1/2 lbs store-bought rotisserie-cooked chicken
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped, leaves reserved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium granny smith apples or 2 medium fuji apples, cored and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, slightly toasted
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In large saucepan, place chicken breasts and cover with cold water by 1 inch.
- 2Add onion, celery leaves and Kosher salt.
- 3Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- 4Remove from liquid and set aside; discard liquid.
- 5When cool enough to handle, cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 6In large bowl, mix together chicken, celery, apples, scallions, grapes and toasted macadamia nuts.
- 7Use sharp knife to split pineapple into sixths from top to bottom.
- 8Slice core off each pineapple wedge and slice off fruit, leaving tufts of leaves in tact.
- 9Use the extra half of pineapple for garnish.
- 10Cut the remaining fruit into chunks and add to chicken mixture.
- 11Set pineapple wedges on plates.
- 12In small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice; blend well.
- 13Add dressing to chicken mixture and toss thoroughly.
- 14Add salt and pepper.
- 15Spoon mixture onto pineapple wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Chicken Waldorf Salad
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.8
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 116.4 mg
- Sodium 741.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 39.5 g
- Protein 40.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: