Prep 20 mins
Cook 21 mins
We loved this back when Lazarus (now Macy's) had the little cafes in their stores. I bought one of their cookbooks and this was in it. Loved going there just to get this salad! Oh, and I did downsize the dressing as it made a huge amount. cooking time includes marinating time.
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup spinach (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon coconut
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 mandarin orange, sectioned and drained
- 1⁄2 slice fresh pineapple (round slice)
- 1 slice orange (round slice)
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
Orange-Celery Seed Dressing (use 3 oz)
- 1⁄4 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange, Chopped with pulp and peel included
- To make teriyaki marinade:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Marinate chicken breast for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and broil.
- Cut into strips.
- To make salad:.
- Toss together the greens, carrots, and red Cabbage.
- Place the broiled chicken strips on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle the coconut along each side of the chicken. Top with toasted almonds.
- Arrange the mandarin orange segments, pineapple, and orange slices in alternating clusters around the plate.
- Ladle warm Orange-celery seed dressing over the salad just before serving. Serve while chicken is warm.
- To make dressing:.
- Puree the onion in a blender with lemon juice. Set aside.
- combine sugar, dry mustard, salt and vinegar in a double boiler.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Cool until lukewarm, then blend on low speed with mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil, onion mixture, celery seeds and chopped orange, and blend at medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Bottle and store in refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
This is such a satisfying, cool main dish! My crew doesn't care for red cabbage, so I substituted chunks of avocado in its place. Everyone loved it! Definitely a keeper!!