I bought some dried mango from a food market today and wanted to see if I could do something different with it. My idea was to do something with a Caribbean theme to its flavors but it certainly isn't authentic. I used chicken from a store bought rotisserie chicken to make this extra easy. The recipe could easily be scaled up to feed more.
- 3 ounces couscous
- 1 ounce dried mango, chopped up
- 5 fluid ounces boiling water
- 4 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped up
- 2 teaspoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Put the dried couscous and dried mango into a large bowl and pour over the boiling water.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the rum vinaigrette.
- After the couscous has finished cooking, take the plastic off and add chicken and green onions to the bowl and stir just to combine.
- Pour over the vinaigrette toss the mixture to make sure it all gets a bit of the dressing.
- Stir through the toasted almonds and season if you feel necessary.