Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr
BEAUTIFUL crisp sugar cookies with a twist
Make and share this Tropical Checkerboards recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- orange food coloring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- yellow food coloring
- 1⁄3 cup coconut
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- beat butter 30 seconds.
- beat in sugar, baking powder and salt.
- beat in egg and vanilla, beat in flour.
- divide dough in half.
- knead almond extract and orange food color in half. knead coconut extract and yellow food color in other half.
- shape each colored portion into rectanglar logs, 6 inches long by 2 inches wide. wrap each log in wax paper. chill 1 hour.
- cut each log length wise into 4 slices.
- alternating colors stack slices to form 2 four layor logs. press together to seal with wax paper. chill for 1 hour.
- place logs on cutting surface with solid color facing up. using a sharp knife cut each log lengthwise four times. stack four slices of dough making a checkerboard.
- Combine coconut and nuts, roll logs in mixture. chill for 1-2 hours.
- preheat oven to 375.
- slice logs 1/4 inch thick. place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- bake 10-12 minutes.
- transfer to wire rack.