1/1 Photo of Tropical Carrot Layer Cake With Island Icing
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for a frosted carrot layer cake with tropical fruit and macadamias. You can also prepare these as cupcakes or a sheet cake if desired, following the baking guides below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TROPICAL CARROT LAYER CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups softened unsalted butter (plus more for pans)
- 2 cups raw coconut sugar crystals (Coconut Secret)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for pans)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon allspice (or 1/3 tsp each cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) container pina colada yogurt (Yoplait)
- 1/4 cup natural coconut rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 cup baker's angel flake coconut
- 1 pureed medium very ripe banana (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 1 (8 ounce) can well-drained crushed pineapple (reserve juice)
- 1 cup roasted macadamia nuts (2/3 c chopped, 1/3 c ground)
- 24 ounces softened real cream cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons pureed ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons natural coconut rum (not coconut extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1(BAKING NOTES: AVOID 9-INCH CAKE PANS WHICH HAVE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE HANDLE TABS, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FIT THREE 9-INCH PANS ON ONE BAKING RACK, WHICH IS RECOMMENDED FOR PROPER RISING AND EVEN BAKING. HERE IS A GUIDE FOR VARIATION BAKING TIMES AT 350°F: Two 8 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans -- 35 to 40 minutes Two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans -- 30 to 35 minutes Two 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pans -- 25 to 35 minutes Two 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans -- 25 to 35 minutes -- One 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan -- 30 to 35 minutes One 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan -- 25 to 30 minutes Cupcakes (half full of batter) -- 18 to 23 minutes). (STEP ONE): PLACE oven rack in center position; PREHEAT oven to 350°F; OIL three (9-inch) cake pans lightly; PRESS a sheet of parchment paper into the bottom of both cake pans: SCORE parchment paper around bottom perimeter of cake pan; CUT a circle from scored sheet; LINE the bottoms of cake pans with parchment paper cut-out; BUTTER top of parchment paper insert well; DUST the greased inserts lightly with flour; TAP out excess flour; SET prepared pans aside.
- 2PULSE 1 cup pre-roasted macadamia nuts in a food processor and save 2/3 cup for the cake and set aside; COARSELY grind remaining 1/3 cup macadamia nuts in processor for the garnish, transfer to separate small bowl and set aside; PEEL enough fresh carrots to yield 2 1/4 cups grated; SHAVE a few 3-4 inch strips from carrots using a vegetable peeler and place into ice water for the garnish; FINELY grate the remaining carrots using a food processor grate to yield 2 1/4 cups (remove any large chunks that may get in), transfer grated carrots to a large bowl; ADD 1 cup Baker's Angel Flake coconut to carrots in bowl; PUREE one medium very ripe banana in food processor; ADD all but 2 tablespoons of banana puree to carrot mixture (reserving 2 tablespoons banana puree for the icing); RESERVE juice from one (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple; ADD well-drained crushed pineapple to carrot mixture in bowl; BLEND the carrot/coconut/banana/pineapple mixture well and set aside until needed; FOLLOW the link if candied carrot curls are desired, courtesy of The Cupcake Project (with thanks): http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2010/04/candied-carrot-curls-unique-carrot.html.
- 3MIX the following dry ingredients together in a separate medium bowl: 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter), 1 teaspoon ground allspice (or 1/3 tsp each cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg), and 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder; SET aside.
- 4CREAM 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter in a large mixing bowl using an electric stand mixer until light and fluffy; ADD 2 cups Coconut Secret brand Raw Coconut Crystals gradually to the creamed butter and beat well; CRACK 4 eggs into a separate container and remove any shell fragments; LIGHTLY beat eggs without adding to mixture.
- 5ALTERNATELY beat in the dry flour mixture and pour beaten egg mixture in one fourth increments on medium-low speed, until all of the flour mixture is used and all egg has been beaten into mixture; STOP mixer; ADD one 6 ounce container Yoplait pina colada yogurt, 1/4 cup natural coconut rum and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract; MIX on lowest speed; SLOWLY add the carrot/coconut/banana/pineapple mixture while beating on medium speed (without over-mixing); RAISE standing mixer top and scrape attachment and bowl sides; REMOVE bowl from stand; FOLD in 2/3 cup coarsely chopped roasted macadamia nuts.
- 6DIVIDE batter equally into the 3 prepared pans; DROP each cake pan levelly onto countertop 3 times to disperse air pockets; PLACE cakes into oven; SET timer for 30 minutes; BAKE until timer sounds; TEST center(s) of cake(s) with a wooden toothpick or cake tester until it comes out clean (bake for an additional 5 minutes and test again); REMOVE baked cakes from oven; LEAVE the cakes in pans to rest and cool for 10 minutes; CAREFULLY invert and transfer cakes from pans onto cooling racks, peeling away parchment paper; ALLOW cakes to cool completely; ZEST one fresh lime to yield 1/4 teaspoon and set aside; SQUEEZE juice from lime to yield 2 teaspoons for the icing.
- 7INTO a small cup using a fork to blend, mix 2 tablespoons banana puree, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons reserved pineapple juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons natural coconut rum, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract; SET mixture aside; INTO a large mixing bowl add 12 ounces softened real cream cheese and 1 stick softened butter over; BEAT until creamy; SCRAPE the mixture of banana, juices, rum and extract into the mixing bowl; BEGIN beating; SIFT in the powdered sugar while beating constantly until smooth; SLOWLY pour in the reserved blend the ISLAND ICING until smooth and creamy.
- 8PLACE one cake layer top-side up on cake plate or cake stand; SPREAD about 2/3 cup of the ISLAND ICING on the first layer of cake; PLACE the second cake layer top-side down evenly over first; REPEAT procedures to the third layer top-side up again; FROST the sides of the cake first with the ISLAND ICING; COVER the top layer of cake loosely with plastic wrap; TOSS 1/3 cup ground macadamia nuts along the sides of the cake; REMOVE wrap from unfrosted top cake layer.
- 9FROST the top of the cake with the remaining ISLAND ICING, decorating in swirls (Note: Any leftover icing freezes well if stored in an airtight container then defrosted in refrigerator); SPRINKLE the top of the cake with 1/3 cup flaked coconut; GARNISH top with 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh carrot and a few flecks of fresh lime zest; REFRIGERATE for an hour to set icing before serving.
- 10CUT servings and place onto plates; TEMPER cake servings to room temperature, covered loosely with plastic wrap (OR) WARM cake uncovered in a microwave defrost setting just long enough to soften cake and temper frosting; SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Carrot Layer Cake With Island Icing
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 996.0
- Calories from Fat 663
- Total Fat 73.7 g
- Saturated Fat 40.1 g
- Cholesterol 226.1 mg
- Sodium 658.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 48.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coconut sugar crystals
pina colada yogurt