Recipe by Mimpard
I found this recipe many years ago in a newspaper. It has become a favorite springtime treat and it's a great cake to share. The recipe makes 3 layers or it allows me to bake a nice 13x9 inch cake to take to someone and there is enough batter to bake a small cake to share at home.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb carrots, shredded or 4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or three 8 inch cake pans for a three layer cake. Drain pineapple well, pressing out excess juice.
- In large bowl, beat mayonnaise and sugars until well-blended. Beat in eggs until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots, raisins, nuts, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger cinnamon and salt. Mix dry ingredients into pineapple mixture until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (if using 8 inch pans, bake 30 - 35 minutes). Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in remaining ingredients until blended and smooth. If using the 8 inch layers for a three layer cake, double frosting ingredients to spread between layers and ice the top and sides.