Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This makes a nice tangy cabbage slaw with a crunch. Great for hot summer days. Serve it as a side dish or have it for lunch. The homemade dressing is the key to this cool salad.
Top Review by Mommy Diva
I particularly love cabbage salads, and the mixture of pineapple, carrots and apple with such a tangy and flavorful dressing was just divine!! I did use the pecans (lightly toasted) and found this to be a wonderful summer salad (nice lightly sweet tropical twist to a traditional slaw- with nice crunchy tidbits and a nicely savory sauce!)to accompany all the BBQ items we had at our picnic. Had LOTS of compliments - and requests for the recipe!!! Hope your entry wins you the contest unknown chef!! I really liked this one!
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium red apple, cored and chunked
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup syrup.
- Combine crushed pineapple, cabbage, carrots, celery, pecans, apples and onions with reserved syrup, set aside.
- In a blender combine egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, celery salt, Worcestershire and cayenne. With blender on low setting add oil slowly until thickened. It is best to add oil a few drops at a time.
- Toss salad mixture with dressing. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.