Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes a nice tangy cabbage slaw with a crunch. Great for hot summer days. Serve it as a side dish or have it for lunch. The homemade dressing is the key to this cool salad.
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium red apple, cored and chunked
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans (optional)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup syrup.
- Combine crushed pineapple, cabbage, carrots, celery, pecans, apples and onions with reserved syrup, set aside.
- In a blender combine egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, celery salt, Worcestershire and cayenne. With blender on low setting add oil slowly until thickened. It is best to add oil a few drops at a time.
- Toss salad mixture with dressing. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
I particularly love cabbage salads, and the mixture of pineapple, carrots and apple with such a tangy and flavorful dressing was just divine!! I did use the pecans (lightly toasted) and found this to be a wonderful summer salad (nice lightly sweet tropical twist to a traditional slaw- with nice crunchy tidbits and a nicely savory sauce!)to accompany all the BBQ items we had at our picnic. Had LOTS of compliments - and requests for the recipe!!! Hope your entry wins you the contest unknown chef!! I really liked this one!
I didn`t use the optional pecans And I wish I had them to use because I think that is what was missing in this recipe. This was just ok but somewhat healthy except for all the fat. The fat would be much lower because this could serve 8-10 people easily. Nice try.