Recipe by Rinshinomori
I created this dish when I was about 20 living in Okinawa and it is our very favorite curry. Okinawa is sub-tropical with beautiful beaches and no doubt the climate and the people inspired me to come up with this colorful one dish curry. If you are looking for authentic curry then this is not it. It's not Japanese curry either. What makes this dish so tasty besides the mild curry sauce is the addition of condiments of choice. You can use almost anything including cut up mango, papaya, pineapple, tomatoes, cucumber, toasted peanuts or pine nuts, chopped green onion, pepper, and shredded boiled eggs. This is our favorite curry!
Top Review by rpgaymer
What an interesting and unique curry- very much enjoyed by all. The sauce has a very "meaty" flavor from the bacon, and that was nice a change of pace. I used all the toppings listed, excepted for bell peppers and I used chopped macadamia nuts instead of pine nuts. The shredded egg was my FAVORITE- it adds a completely new layer of flavor. The next day, I at the leftovers with some tamarind chutney, and that was delicious as well!
For the Condiments
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in syrup, cut in bite size pieces, reserve juice
- 1 -2 egg, boiled and shredded
- 1 tomatoes, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 cup cucumber, thick julienned
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup peanuts, roasted
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium apples, shredded or 1 medium apple, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 -3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth (or 2 beef bouillon cubes mixed with 1 1/4 c water)
- 1⁄4 cup curry powder
- 1 cup milk
- white rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the condiments on a large platter or individual serving bowls. Reserve juice from pineapple for sauce.
- In a deep frying pan, heat 1 T oil on medium heat and saute bacon, onion, garlic and apple. Turn down heat to low and continue cooking until onion is translucent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown the meat using wooden spoon breaking up the meat. Cook until meat is browned. Add flour and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add raisins, pineapple juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt, tomato paste, beef stock or bouillon cubes with water, curry powder, pepper to taste and cook for 2-3 minutes on simmer.
- Add milk and continue cooking on simmer for another 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit and fragrant.
- To serve - place about 1 C either short or medium grained cooked rice on plate and ladle curry sauce over the rice. Scatter all the condiments or let the guests scatter condiments of their choice.