This is absolutely DIVINE! We didn't leave one crumb on the platter. I had forgotten about this recipe until my son asked me to make it again. Using a filo dough for the crust makes it much simpler than a traditional homemade strudel crust! From Steven Raichlen's "Big Flavor Cookbook".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large bananas, ripe
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur or 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2Thinly slice bananas and put in heavy nonreactive saucepan.
- 3Add raisins, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, vanilla, rum, brown sugar and stir to combine.
- 4Cook over medium heat until bananas are just tender, 2-4 minutes.
- 5Correct sweetness if necessary.
- 6In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into banana liqueur (or rum).
- 7Pour into the banana mixture and simmer 30 seconds or until mixture thickens.
- 8Let cool to room temperature and remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
- 9Refrigerate until cold.
- 10STRUDEL DOUGH:.
- 11Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 12In a small bowl, combine melted butter and oil.
- 13In a separate small bowl combine cracker crumbs and sugar.
- 14Following the directions on the filo dough box, prepare surface and dough (using damp cloth, etc.), alternately brush dough with butter mixture and one level tablespoon of the crumb mixture. Repeat until you have used four sheets of the filo dough.
- 15Mound half of the banana filling in a row along the long edge of dough closest to you. Roll up halfway.
- 16Fold in the short ends and continue to roll the strudel.
- 17Carefully transfer it, seam side down to an ungreased baking sheet.
- 18Prepare the second strudel in the same manner.
- 19Brush the tops with the rest of the butter mix and sprinkle with the rest of the crumb mix.
- 20Using a sharp knife, lightly score the tops of the strudels (do not cut through to the filling!).
- 21Bake until crispy and golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- 22Cool slightly and cut into diagonal slices with serrated knife.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Banana Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 85.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
cinnamon graham cracker crumbs